Friday, February 20, 2009

Helen's Home from the Hospital


That's my heart rate in the ER at 113 (that's normal in this situation), after the second SVT reset after only one doses of adenosine. The first SVT was around 195 (took 2 doses of adenosine) and lasted around 3 hours (started at 0900 at work and took me 1 3/4 hours to decide to go to work medical, where I have gone before but couldn't capture on the EKG, to being told to go to the ER by my Cardio's partner whom my work Doctortracked down), the second time at 200pm was up to 220 but only last minutes because I was already in the ER when it happened. I say minutes, probably 120 seconds at most. (You know when you're lying in your stretcher and you feel your heart start to race again, I call it "skip then run", then I said uh-oh something doesn't feel right, and then the device starts honking really loud? And the nurse who was about to give you an IV because you are complaining that you are thirsty but they won't give you water, looks up and says, "Yup, it's happening again" and than fast walks out? That's a cool feeling. The doc with about 5 others walked in and he said with a smile, "let's do this again") (Oh, and when you are all watching the monitor as your body is flush and shaking then your heart drops from 220 to 180 to 150 to 120 to 80 to 70, then pauses and shoots up to 100 and steadys. And I said, woah that felt weird or something like that. I might have said wow that looked scary for a second. The doc says that's what it is supposed to do, but reminded me why they put the sticky paddles on my chest as a "precaution")(the whole thing lasted maybe 5 seconds) sticky paddle:



I'll post more details and pics tomorrow (yes I took many pics), but needless to say I am happy and healthy to be home. Time to treat this treatable thing instead of ignoring it and waiting for it to go away. Now I know what happens when it doesn't go away - you wish you wore matching socks to work (more on that below).

It's called Superventricular Tachychardia (SVT)(link to my hospital that treated me - did you know Mom volunteered there?) and it is the healthiest form of heart chardia you want, because it is the kind you don't drop dead from and is very treatable by meds or a simple procedure called Radiofrequency Ablation.

I'll tell the fun details tomorrow, but remember always wear clean underwear? I learned always make sure your socks matched your shoes. My shoes and pants were black and my socks were blue, I paused for like half a second, shrug my shoulders and went to work. Not ever, not ever again!

You know, the whole time they were treating me (there were at least 8 people but that's for tomorrow), My feet were like this. They didn't touch the shoes. You notice the pen and the sheet? The whole time the OCD person in me was trying really hard not to cause the pen or sheet to fall. Note awkward right foot:



Here, after it was finally calm and clear (ok above was after too because I didn't have my camera the first time but did the second, but no time to snap. But I managed to text a friend "it's back" with one hand at 206pm!)

Here, is the calm relaxed pose. I asked Steve, can you remove that pen and sheet? And he did. Sigh I was so relaxed after that. I think I was there for another 2 hours in this position calling all of you or calling work to conference you or deciding NOT to call the parents until I see the doctor or get my private room. Sorry mom and dad! I knew I was ok!



More tomorrow, unless I get the urge tonight. I got some TV to catch up on!

ETA: OWWWW! It shouldn't hurt more pulling off the band aid then putting in OR taking out the IV!! OWWW!

No comments: