Saturday, March 29, 2008

Race Gender Religion and Politics: Lebron James Gisele Vogue Cover

Why not stir things up a little by posting other people's opinion?

Article on Gender Wars. Regarding what hatred towards Clinton may mean in general. (wsj, subscription required)

Have you heard about the controversy of theLebron/Gisele Vogue cover? Via TheBigLead, via Gawker.



Talk about white basketball players on 1st take. (again via TheBigLead)

I think that is enough for now. i was going to link to a Charles Barkley interview, but maybe later. Happy Saturday! I leave you with my favorite song today, an old one:





Oh, and what the hell. We might as well throw religion into this text so we can insult everybody equally. My doorbell rang this morning. My house is situated so that you can't come to my front door without going through a locked gate. Makes it good to mitigate against solicitors. Makes it sucks when the doorbell rings, because that means someone is standing at my driveway wanting to talk to me.


So my first thought is, oh it's the pillows I ordered from Overstock. The UPS guy rings the bell than usually throws the package over the gate. I get my keys. I almost open the door than realize my alarm is still set. Turn off alarm. This is Saturday morning, I have barely had my coffee and My hair is, lets just say a little greasy and not with a ballcap on.


I walk outside and there is a nicely dressed older man at my gate. He starts to introduce himself. I think it's my neighbor's father visiting? Locked out? No, he says he is the Pastor from the local Church. And here is Reverend so-and-so, who pops out from behind the front. "We are here visiting people who are new to the neighborhood"


I stop in my tracks. The difference is they are not at my front door, I don't have to be rude and find a way to shut the door. In the old house I would just wave at them from the window as they rung the doorbell and not answer the door. But I have walked halfway down the sidewalk. Because I thought it was the postman. And they are interrupting my morning routine.


I wave. I say "thanks for visiting" and I turn around and walk back into my house. They appeared stunned. "Uh okay" I think I heard. Am I excepted the hear their pitch? Do I have to be nice just because they are pastors? They are still strangers disturbing my morning. I think I was nice enough. Do I listen to them for five minutes between the rod iron gate? I think I did the right thing without being rude.

eta: Why am I worried about being rude? They rung my doorbell. do they presume everyone in this new neighborhood is Christian? That alone is insulting.

No comments: