Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Division II NCAA Softball Story that will make you cry: Central Washington vs Western Oregon

For once ESPN covered a story I didn't find in the blogs first. Really, this was the closing 5 seconds on Sportscenter and I found the story on espn.com, and I teared up when I heard it and when I read it.

Okay, small tears, but still. Perhaps because I have torn my ACL twice playing soccer. I have known moments as a D-III soccer/lacrosse player.

So quickly the story: 3 for 34 senior comes to bat, hits potential game winning three-run home run, and blows knee out rounding first (she missed it and doubled back). Rules say she can't be touched (by her teammates or trainers) or she's out, so she has to be subbed for a two-run single. Opposing team, knowing that they could lose, decide to carry her around the bases so she gets her senior moment. Tears. Seriously click on it, unless you hate women sports. And I will delete all your hater comments out there about women softball players, so fair warning. (gosh, I am defensive about these internet haters, aren't I?)

Come on - That's an awesome story.

No comments: