Monday, April 7, 2008

Monday. Sony DE475 Sony Receiver



Well I did Craigslist this weekend. It's dangerous to shop online when you know you want something but don't want to pay full price. I need a receiver for the master bedroom which I had pre-wired for surround sound, I just don't have a receiver.

So Friday night I'm getting ready to go out (I do occasionally leave the house for purposes other than work), and I put the TV on XM (I have Direct TV, remember?)

I love my 2o year old Mitsubishi 20" TV. I am not exaggerating, I bought it in 1989 at college in main line Philly, at that outlet mall in something or other (something Corner?). It's a little small for the big master but it works. Since I have DirectTV (did I mention that? I swear I don't work for them) everything comes in digital including sound, I don't care about digital TV until I buy HD for the master. Actually I'll just move the Dell TV 42" HDTV (yes they made them, and I bought, still great pic read the reviews, the technology is actually Samsung) upstairs and buy a Sony 46 or 50 for the LR. I am also a Sony whore. Did I mention I am brand loyal?

So point is, I have wired upstairs with L/R front and center, just not surround yet. Speakers are there I just need to pull the wires from the wall to connect the rest.

So for you techno folks out there, Is a 10 year old receiver, with DTS/DD/etc good enough, or is technology so much better I should get a better receiver? It was only $75. And 5.1. We are a ways off when 6.1 or 7.2 is the standard.

Did I make a bad purchase. For some of you out there that's just beer money for the weekend. In fact I went out Friday night and our bill was $120 including tip.

So I figure, what the hey enjoy for a year better sound before I upgrade. What say you? BTW, the only thing I love/hate about directTV is the blue light. See in on top of TV? It is a good nightlight if you need one, but is quite bright when you don't want one.

No comments: