Saturday, January 19, 2008

Saturday Afternoon - Who pays full price?

It's sunny here but still cold for this part of the U.S. I had a good workout, they were hosting a Ultimate Frisbee tournament. It looked really fun, I thought soccer involved a lot of running. I had no idea you could throw a frisbee so many ways.

My one and only commenter was kind enough to not only say what he ate for the day, but what he is wearing/shopping and where he bought them. Neiman's Last Call and Stein Mart (obviously from Austin). Leads me to a question - who pays full price for anything really?

really - Does anyone walk into a Macy's or Nordstrom or whatever they are , and say I'll take that Polo for $89.99? I mean sometimes when you are in a buying mode you do. But with all the secondary stores out there - Marshall's, Stein Mart, outlet stores, etc, why would you pay full price for something that is always on sale somewhere? Yes, I'll shop at Macy's and buy and outfit but I'm talking about other things we need all the time - polos, golf shirts, slacks, etc

I guess if you are an AMEX platinum you don't care to walk into a JoS. A Banks and buy a fitted suit, or order from your Italian tailor. But I'm talking about everyday things that are cheaper if you just make an effort. Or you wait, because they will be on sale eventually.

I guess if you are buying a new pair of running shoes and don't know what you want, you will go to Luke's Locker and have someone tell you what you need. But if you know you are a Nike Men's size 9 no matter what, why wouldn't you just go to Nikeclearance.com and buy last year's model?

If you want a new set of sheets, why not by 600 thread count from Overstock? Or check out discontinued items at Ralph Lauren?

Ok I am not name dropping or endorsing any of these sites, but it gets back to the point of why pay full price when you can find it out there for less?

I'm leaving this post and will get to Brett Favre later. I bought my whole Ralph Lauren bedding from various retailers on ebay, a retail $700 set cost about $300 total.

Things I pay for full price: Starbucks coffee, Mentadent toothpaste, Dell computers, Furniture, cars (Acura and Honda if you must ask). I even buy my electronics on amazon or ebay, and I'm a Sony whore.

No comments: