Friday, September 26, 2008

Observations after a Hurricane

Things you don't think about, in no particular order:

Burnt matches everywhere, thus candle wax everywhere

When you leave the garage up the night of the hurricane with neighbors and friends for a couple of hours, you get a lot of dust in the garage.

Subsequently, dust everywhere in the house from tracking

When your indoor cat becomes an outdoor cat, your cat brings the outdoor inside

Flashlights everywhere, along with half empty bags of chips

Dust and leaves, did I mention the dust and leaves? Think about it, the balcony and the garage were my outdoor home for three days. Think about the tracking in and out

I missed a lot of new TV

Flashing Lights/4 way stop sign: When you are next to a truck or van, which is normal in houston, wait for them to set the pick than follow. That is the only way to proceed without getting slammed.

Think about this: Schools that are opened are not enforcing the dress code. Why? Because the kids are in homes with no power, or relocated, so they don't have clean appropriate clothes to wear to school. How sad is that?

I went to work this week and workers had their kids with them. It was just normal/weird. No school, no power, no babysitters meant you see 5 year olds running around your hallway and on your elevator and that is normal. I don't mean they were unsupervised, they were very polite. It was just take your kids to school day all week.

I drove by my other neighborhood tonight: Multiple lights indoor and outdoor on, then I got closer to my block. Dark outside (no streetlights) but lights on in houses here and there. I turned off the radio, and rolled down the window, and there it was: the hum of generators.

You don't forget the hum of generators once you hear it. My old house is still without power and they are living on a generator. Thank gosh for the cold front it is very pleasant right now.

Hum of the Generator. Should've been the title of the post.

No comments: