Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Helen's Daily Rumination: The Iskender Doner


When I had a trip in Ankara, Turkey, I found myself with a 3 day weekend. I flew to Istanbul randomly. I was crossing the street of a random block of a random neighborhood (near the shops) when I hear my name. It was a guy I worked with who I hadn't seen in a long time, possibly years.

He was there on vacation too, not posted or assigned there. So I canceled my $30 a night hostel (yes I am frugal but it came with a private bath) and stayed with him at the hotel on the Bosporus River. I can't remember the name but definitely 5 star. His name was Herb. And yes it was platonic.

To this day I still say, when asked, my favorite food ever: The Iskender Doner. It is lamb on cut pita bread smothered in tomato sauce and butter. Go to your nearest Turkish restaurant and buy one now. I loved it so much my last night in Ankara, I went to another restaurant and bought the dish again.

I stayed at the Hilton in Ankara. I think it has since been attacked by terrorists. I hate terrorists.

No comments: